Tuesday, February 17, 2009

The Economic Downturn Does Hit Home

It's official as of Wednesday Feb. 11, 2009. My husband no longer has a job. So what's next? We get our physicals with our two months worth of insurance and hope we're healthy. I finally start looking for another part-time job and submit applications at the places I've been thinking of applying to for months but haven't because I hate filling out applications. Now it's too damn bad if I hate filling out apps....And I hope for the best. And mixed in with these two things I try to strike a balance between giving my husband the space to figure out what he wants/needs to do, how he needs/wants to proceed and address my need to know what he's thinking, planning, my need to offer ideas, to. Of course there's plenty more that needs to be on the list, no doubt. These are just the things that spring immediately to my mind. I think in my mind, "Why us? Again just 2 1/2 years after relocating after another layoff." And i think to myself: "Why not us?" We're positively rich in comparison to the majority of the world's population. But that line of thinking doesn't make me feel better, just ungrateful and discouraged.

And I think that our Govenor needs to go back on her word of no additional taxes and tax the upper 1 or 2 or 10% of people in this state who are filthy rich, or just rich, because why in the he** shouldn't they be affected by this? Why shouldn't some of their money put a dent in our huge deficit? How can it be ok in this day and place to let anyone be in a position to wonder if they can take their child to the Dr. or go themselves if need be? How can it be ok in this country for there to be as many people as there are living on the edge constantly, not just moving towards it as we are? So civilized the US is? Such equal opportunity the US offers?

1 comment:

excavator said...

I'm thinking about you and wishing you didn't have to be going through this.

How goes the app-filling-out?

You doing OK?

Love